The European Commission published a new Action Plan on Intellectual Property, aimed at helping SMEs
In order to promote the economic recovery of SMEs, the EU Commission published on November 25, 2020 an Action Plan on IP aimed at companies making the most of their inventions.
The objective is to promote the protection of intangible assets, such as trademarks, designs, patents, utility models, etc., which are fundamental in today’s world economy.
For that reason, arises the initiative of the “Ideas Powered for Business programme” via an EUR 20 million scheme provided by the EUIPO, supported by the European Commission, and in cooperation with the national and regional intellectual property offices of the EU.
This Fund is addressed to SMEs wishing to develop their IP strategies and protect their IP rights, at national, regional or EU level.
Aid is proposed to SMEs for two different types of services, which can be requested individually or complementarily (only once):
1) IP pre-diagnostic services (IP Scan): to help SMEs to decide what IP rights to apply for, how to develop their IP portfolio if they already have registered rights, and how to plan the strategy for the future.
2) trade mark and design application fees: if SMEs are considering registering a trade mark or a design at either EU, regional (in the Benelux), or national level.
With the IP voucher, SMEs will be able to receive co-funding of up to € 1500 for:
1) IP Scans: up to 75% of the cost and/or
2) Registration of trade marks and design rights in the EU and its Member States: up to 50% of the application fees.
Regarding the timetable and rules, SMEs can only apply for the grant during the open period (inside each of the five designated time periods) using the electronic application form. Specifically, the time periods are the following:
- From 11.1.2021 to 31.1.2021
- From 1.3.2021 to 31.3.2021
- From 1.5.2021 to 31.5.2021
- From 1.7.2021 to 31.7.2021
- From 1.9.2021. to 30.9.2021
Through the following link it can be found the relevant information about the Aid Fund and the conditions to access it: